Monday, October 17, 2005

warning: may contain traces of domesticity

Soundtrack: Folk is not a four letter word


I've so got into cooking since moving in with Thom. It's a bit nuts really. When I lived with my sister, I'd usually just stock up on veg and eat with a meat-free garlic kiev. Every night. You'd buy a pack of veg, and it'd last 3 days. If I was feeling extravagant I'd break out a quiche. If Thom was staying over, I'd crack open a Knorr Sizzle 'n' Stir.

That's all changed now. This week saw our first ever delivery of ORGANIC VEG. Well, I was quite taken aback to come home to a box on the door step and to find it all covered in DIRT. There was none of that 'rinse under the tap' malarky. Hoh no. This is a proper scrubbing-brush -in-every-nook-and-cranny job. And everything's a weird shape. The cauliflower had taken on the shape of an alien life-form. Then the sign of pukka authenticity - delving my hand into the box - a slug sandwiched between my hand and the cabbage. Said item got thrown across the room with fright.

And if all that isn't exhausting enough, I had to figure out what I was meant to do with a pak choi.

Anyway, I've managed to survive the experience; stir fry (I never cook that), chilli chinese soup, macaroni cheese with true spinach and alien cauliflower - and I can't wait to order the next box! Sad, I know. Gone are the days of getting home and being too tired to cook. Now I can't wait to see what I concoct next! I'm sure it won't last. For a start, there's a couple of Sizzle 'n' Stirs in the cupboard that need using up...

5 comments:

  1. My Mum once served me broccoli with a huge lump of soil in it. Put me right off for a few years.

    I'm tempted to try this organic veggie malarky. I want to sample some new fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetables. The new "going out".

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for dropping by my blog, nice to 'meet' you!
    been meaning to try organic veggies too! but i'm too afraid of straying beyond my chilli-pasta-CARBS diet... what do you do with pak choi...??? i'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grill 'em, bake 'em, fry 'em, eat 'em. Pak choi is waffly versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. waffly versatile! that phrase needs more exposure over here.

    ReplyDelete