Monday, August 01, 2005

the gresham flyers' 1st gig aftermath

Soundtrack: Gather in the Mushrooms


It was a nervous day. Thom and I arrived at around 5.30, only to finally soundcheck in front of an audience at 8pm. Thom was getting just a wee bit irate, but you're helpless whilst waiting for the headliners to turn up and set up. And if Thom is tense, it rubs off on me...

But thankfully the night went superbly. The set just went in a whirl, and I don't think I stopped smiling the whole time. I was amazed at how much confidence I suddenly felt up on stage. I distinctly remember hearing my mic being turned up when I started singing, and suddenly my voice was booming back at me. Then it suddenly felt very real. I didn't care whether I was singing every note perfectly (I know I wasn't), just hearing it all for real, seeing friends and family in the audience, looking over at other band members... just a fantastic experience. I can't wait to do it all over again.

The best thing was hearing the feedback afterwards. Obviously there were people we knew saying 'oh you were great', but it was more than that... 'Oh, I loved the 3rd song, oh I loved Student Nurse'. One friend said 'Sharon, I've seen a lot of gigs in my time, as you know. I'll give you some constructive criticism, but for a first gig you've set the bar very high'. I even had a lovely girl I didn't know approach me in the toilets to say she thought we were brilliant.

I haven't stopped thinking about the gig all day! What a wonderful experience.

If any of yous fancy a trip to The Windmill in Brixton next Monday (8th August) we'll be supporting Saturday Looks Good to Me, so check us out. More details on The Gresham Flyer's website: www.thegreshamflyers.com

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous02:36

    sharon, you FUCKING ROCK! wish i coulda been there ><

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be playing The Winchester Club in Glasgow on 8th October. :)

    x

    ReplyDelete